Thursday, December 25, 2014

What's Making Me Happy This Week: Flour

I was making a cake on Saturday, and I had a bowl of sifted flour on the counter. Fluffy, white sifted flour.

My 10-year-old came into the kitchen and was instantly drawn to it. 

"Can I touch the flour?"

Why not? What could it hurt? "Sure," I said. 

A couple of minutes later he was elbow-deep in the flour and I knew it was not going into the cake. 

Almost to himself, he said, "It feels so good."

Another minute later: "Mom, for my birthday next year can I have my mattress filled with this stuff?"

More flour fondling, and again to himself, "It feels like air conditioning."

To me: "Mom, can I put this down my shirt?"

Ten minutes later there was a lot of flour in the kitchen and not much left in the bowl. It was on his face, in his hair, but happily not down his shirt. 

The whole episode had me in stitches. And I have to admit that after Colin went upstairs to clean up, I put my hands in the flour. 

It felt good. 

What's making you happy this week?

And merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. I went to a movie on Christmas with some new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated Christmas greetings from San Diego. Can I call you over the weekend to catch up? That would make me happy. (Sorry I've been a stranger.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to take lessons-I would not be so zen about my boys doing that with flour in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hysterical. I could never be that flexible. Nice job. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete