Thursday, December 18, 2014

What's Making Me Happy This Week: Serial

Sometimes I'm not a widow. I'm just a woman reading a paper, or doing a crossword, or wrestling with my kids and nothing else. Or this week, listening to a podcast.

Serial.

It might be one of the most popular podcasts of all time, for good reason. Sarah Koenig tells the true story, one installment at a time, of a man serving a life sentence for his girlfriend's murder, committed when he was 17.

Is he innocent, as he maintains to this day, or is he guilty, as the state prosecutor convinced a jury? Koenig tries to get to the bottom of it with obsessive attention to detail, exhaustive research, extensive interviews, and even attempts to re-create the events of the day the girlfrield went missing.

Nothing is clear except that someone is lying.

It's twisted, and confusing, and fascinating. I was late to the podcast, and only discovered it a week ago. In the last week, it's been on every time I've gotten in the car or taken a walk. I've even cleaned the house just for an excuse to put in earphones and listen.

The final installment was released today, but don't skip to the end. You have to listen to the podcasts in order, and you'll want to.

What's making you happy this week?

7 comments:

  1. I'm on #5. It's SO good. And sewing is making me happy this week. I love making things for people. I sewed 7 cute little stuffed elephants today for some teenagers I might be a leader of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that you started this blog makes me happy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Service - and creating images of beautiful things in my mind - then making them with my hands make me happy - so yesterday was grand 'cause I did both. Today will be filled with both service and being part of creation as well. The Sanford Maine Ward is coming to the Temple AND there is a party AND there is service - and more - today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Outlander book series...fun historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What makes me happy? Seeing the brand-new blog with a smashing profile picture. I've just subscribed to Serial: saying it makes you do housework sealed the deal. I love the Gibran quote. Haven't read him for 45 years (yikes, I'm old!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to do a happy blog too! I am going to call it "A Quest for Life After Life", which is really very accurate for me. The hard part for me is how to keep the glass half full... I can be such a downer I can't bear it! And I need to know how one can listen to a podcast? I would like to try it! This is great news about your new blog! YOU ROCK! xoxoxo- Loonie

    ReplyDelete