Sunday, February 8, 2015

What's Making Me Happy This Week: The New England Patriots


Sorry West Coast friends, but what made me happy this week was the Super Bowl.

Actually it's been making me happy for weeks. There have been play-off games, a hilarious local response to deflate-gate (Matt Damon confessed), and a palpable sense of optimism wherever two or more Patriots fans are gathered (which is everywhere).

And it's hard to imagine how the game Sunday could have been any better. Tightly contested to the last seconds, minor miracles for both teams (I've watched Kearse's catch probably a dozen times and still can't quite believe it happened), and of course the improbable interception that won the game for the Patriots. The best half-time show ever didn't hurt. Even if Katy Perry is a Seahawks fan.

But even better than all that was watching the game on a super comfy couch surrounded by family. Even my five-year-old niece was transfixed.

Last Sunday, the Patriots made me happy. (I'm not making this up -- science backs me up on this.) What's making you happy this week?

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy because I just found out I have a SNOW DAY tomorrow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. West Coast Fan Post - No apology necessary - I LOVE the Patriots because of 1) Tom Brady - I unashamedly admit I want to be him - or maybe just be like him - and 2) the way they crushed every opponent during the 2007 on their way to being the first team to go 16-0 during the regular season. Brady/Moss was the best thing I had ever seen on a foootball field. I was absolutely devastated by the loss to Eli "the luckiest quarterback ever" Manning and the Giants after the helmet catch. And I have had my annual January disappointment ever year since then.

    So that set the stage for this year. The Ghosts of 2007 were all there on that final drive (yes, the Kearse play you reference), but the play by Malcolm Butler was UNBELIEVABLE!!! I mean, there is no better word for it. The Patriots were dead and Tom Brady was one play from a whole off season of talk about how he was now 3-3 in Super Bowls and was probably now washed up. Now, he is talked about universally as the greatest quarterback to ever play the game. The Butler play was literally one in a million. It was an unbelievable game.

    All those watching the game with me at my house saw me freak out in a way they likely will never see again - so I guess it is fair to say that the Super Bowl definitely made me happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy because my friend keeps asking what is making me happy. I see there really is Life After Death.
    I'm also happy because I've discovered podcasts on my phone. My friend Christy shared one that I really like: 'Here's the Thing' with Alec Baldwin. It's full of 50 minute interviews with really interesting people. My favorite so far: Julie Andrews. (My son Matt gave me a boxed set, "Saving Mr. Banks" and "Mary Poppins". We watched them both and a long special feature during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete